In western medicine
Crohn’s is treated based on the theory that it is caused by a malfunctioning immune system. The immune system attacks normal body tissues, causing inflammation.
So it is treated with:
- Steroids and other anti-inflammatory drugs to calm down the inflammation.
- Antibiotics to fight off secondary infections.
- Drugs which retards the Immune system like Stelara ustekinumab.
- Surgery to remove the damaged bowel part.
- Exclusive Enteral Nutrition (EEN). Laboratory-formulated powder/canned food known to bring Crohn remission.
A recent theory developed by Professor Arye Levine. He suggests that Crohn is created because of abnormal germs. Those germs can stick to the intestine walls. The immune system attacks those germs as it should. Causing inflammation and Crohn’s symptoms.
Alternative (functional) medicine:
- Identify food and food types as the root cause of Crohn. Aim to detect which cause impacts a certain Crohn patient and avoid it.
- Partial enteral nutrition diet which mostly includes whole, natural, and unprocessed foods. Known not to cause Crohn’s symptoms.
- Herbalists use herbs with a known good impact on the digestive system like ginger.
- Fecal microbial transplantation to introduce beneficial microbes into the patient’s bowels. Help normalize the microbial population and fight off bad bacteria.