There are worms that are 1-3 millimeters long. Other worms can get to 20-30 centimeters. They usually live in our digestive tract. But some can migrate and prosper into our lungs or liver.
Pinworm Tapeworm Ascariasis
Ova and Parasite Test
- is a procedure wherein a laboratory worker examines a stool sample for parasites using a microscope. Since eggs and parasite particles are discharged irregularly into the stool and may be absent from stool at times during infection, collecting 2-3 stool samples is required for parasite detection.
- is a procedure that can spot antigens, foreign substances that let your doctor know your body is trying to fight the infection. Tapeworm infection is indicated by the presence of these antibodies.
- X-rays. An X-ray of the abdomen may reveal a mass of worms if you’re infested with them.
- Ultrasound. In the pancreas or liver, an ultrasound may reveal worms. Sound waves are used to create images of internal organs in this technology.
How do they do it?
- If your doctor suspects you have pinworms, they may ask you to do a “tape test.” As soon as you wake up in the morning, you’ll place a piece of clear tape around your anus, then gently peel it off. Any pinworm eggs will stick to the tape, which your doctor can see under a microscope in a laboratory.
- Tapeworm infection is usually diagnosed by finding eggs or tapeworm segments in the stool. Your doctor may ask you to bring in a sample so a laboratory worker can look for eggs, larvae, or tapeworm segments.
- An ascariasis disease is a type of roundworm infection. It is usually diagnosed by finding eggs in the stool. Often they need to concentrate the stool to detect them.
Laboratories & Centers for Parasitic Worm Test
- Healthily – a laboratory in the UK that offers three types of tests: PCR Test for Bacteria, Viruses, and Parasites.
- The IBS & Gut Disorder Centre – a parasite testing center in the UK that offers consultation with regards to having a parasite in your digestive tract.
- EternalBeing – a hydrotherapy healing center in the UK that offers consultation and parasite testing.
- Nutrition and Vitality – a laboratory in the UK that offers parasite testing.
- Private Blood Tests – a healthcare center in the UK that offers blood testing to detect OVA, cysts, and parasites.
- Genova Diagnostics – a laboratory located in the USA offers parasitology: a test in which your stool will be evaluated for the presence of parasite and ova.
Laboratories’ Cost Per Session
- Healthily – £140 for PCR Test Kit
- The IBS & Gut Disorder Centre – £199 for PCR & £170 for 1hr consultation
- EternalBeing – £115 per 30 mins session Parasite Testing
- Nutrition and Vitality – £290 for Comprehensive Stool Test
- Private Blood Tests – £77.15 for Ova, Cysts and Parasites Stool Test
If you are found positive, you should aim to expel them from your body.
How does Western medicine treat it?
- Some over-the-counter medicines kill pinworms. Your doctor also could prescribe you an anti-parasite medicine. The most common one is albendazole.
- Sometimes you don’t need to do anything about a tapeworm. It could leave your body on its own. But if your doctor finds it, they can prescribe medicine like praziquantel or nitazoxanide.
- You can expel pinworms from your body naturally. Using simple hygiene. Pinworms need to lay eggs in your anus and itch you to make you scratch the eggs. By putting your finger in your mouth, the eggs travel to your digestive tract where new pinworms start their life cycle. It takes time and itches, but if no new pinworm generation is created, you will be free from them in several months.
- The primary line of defense against ascariasis is an anti-parasite medication. The most common medicine for it is Albendazole.